Monday, April 8, 2013

1943


Victory Field A.A.F.F.T.D
Vernon Texas
12-2-43

Dear Mom,

Just received your letter. I hadn’t received the money when I wrote my last letter. It came the next day, thanks a million, that’s from both of us.

That will help us buy Xmas presents. Speaking of Xmas, June has mentioned she needs a housecoat, a quilted one.

Dad, just south of the field about 5 miles starts real wild country mostly is thick growth of mesquite trees and scattered small lakes (Ducks fly around in flocks that make the sky black) One hundred and thirty square miles of this is owned by Wagner, it’s supposed to be the second biggest ranch in the world. He has it stocked with game I (as yet) haven’t done this but some of the instructors fly low in there and see deer, etc. One time they saw a wolf chasing a deer, so they chased the wolf.

How would you like to go hunting?

I have about 16 hrs. of flying time now, I’m getting so I can make it do what I want it to and do a few acrobatics.

A number have been eliminated.

I made a 92 average in "Theory of Flight. I’m now taking aircraft engines (tough for me ha! Ha!) and air navigation.

This field is about 5 miles from town, there are busses running in and out. Cars come out to get us on Wed. evening to take us in to choir practice.

I have just 4 ½ weeks left from Sun (4th) So I’ll leave a few days after new year’s.

A funny thing here about overnight passes, they won’t give them to anyone for the purpose of visiting their wife. Wives aren’t allowed on the post.

But parents, bro. & sys are. Overnight passes are granted to visit same

So one fellow put in a pass saying to visit sister and parents.

The pass was turned down because it was not explained enough." He didn’t say if it was his parents or his sisters’ parents." They are crazy here.

I’m going to tell them you’re coming down some time to get a pass, probably Xmas.

Two tubes went bad in my radio and I can’t buy them here. I will send you the types and you see if you can get them
In general, it has been cold here about 35˚ to 45˚ the last week.


I guess this is all for now.

Love

Chas


...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / -.. . .- .-. / -- --- -- / .--- ..- ... - / .-. . -.-. . .. ...- . -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. . - - . .-. .-.-.- / .. / .... .- -.. -. - / .-. . -.-. . .. ...- . -.. / - .... . / -- --- -. . -.-- / .-- .... . -. / .. / .-- .-. --- - . / -- -.-- / .-.. .- ... - / .-.. . - - . .-. .-.-.- / .. - / -.-. .- -- . / - .... . / -. . -..- - / -.. .- -.-- / - .... .- -. -.- ... / .- / -- .. .-.. .-.. .. --- -. / - .... .- - ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -... --- - .... / --- ..-. / ..- ... / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...- / ...-



No comments:

Post a Comment